Monday, November 4, 2013

The Road to You by Marilyn Brant ~ My Review


The Road to You by Marilyn Brant 

Publication Date: September 29, 2013 
Publisher: Twelfth Night Books 
Pages: 300 
Received: ARC e-copy from author 
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars


Sometimes the only road to the truth...is one you’ve never taken.

 

I really enjoyed reading The Road to You! It was a pleasure for me to step back in time and take a trip down Route 66 in this coming-of-age romantic mystery! 

When Aurora finds her brother’s journal (her brother and his best friend, Jeremy have been missing and presumed dead for two years now) she turns to the only other person whom she can trust to help her on her quest to find out what happen to them... Donovan. The thing is... Donovan, who is Jeremy’s older brother, is also the last person she wants to be around. He makes her nervous, every nerve in her body comes alive just thinking about him. Together they set off on an adventure with the hope of finding their brothers alive.

I love the chemistry between Aurora and Donovan! Aurora has always been attracted to Donovan, and he’s always felt there was something special about Aurora, but in the past she was too young. Spending so much time on the road together only intensify these feelings, but they need to put them aside to concentrate on the task at hand; finding Gideon and Jeremy.

Donovan, who Aurora calls Mr. Tall, Dark and Intense, is really very sweet and protective of Aurora - even though he’s a tough guy on the outside.

I liked Aurora’s intuition; her ability to read people. She can see much deeper into people than what’s on the surface. (It’s a quality that appeals to Donovan too.) Aurora always felt everyone might be wrong about Gideon; that maybe he was still alive. After all his body was never found, and the investigation ended all-too-soon to Aurora's way of thinking. 

I also loved that The Road to You is set in the late 70’s. Aurora and Donovan are without many of the conveniences we have today, like cell phones, internet and GPS. To do research, they would have to find a library in whatever town they were in and study old newspapers that were stored on microfiche.

It was fun trying to figure out the mystery with the clues in the journal and the information Aurora and Donovan picked up along the way. The Road to You kept me guessing all the way to the end!

I loved The Road to You! I found myself wanting to listen to some of my favorite bands from the 70’s! I definitely would recommend this one!

Disclaimer: I received an ARC e-copy of the book for an honest review.

Buy a copy: Amazon | B&N

Add to goodreads.

FTC Disclaimer: Link to Amazon. I am an Amazon Associate. Should you purchase a copy of the book through the link provided, I will receive a small commission. Thanks!


Connect with Marilyn Brant




Any thoughts? I'd love to hear from you!

8 comments:

  1. Candy,
    I'm so thrilled you enjoyed the story and the '70s references (esp. the music!) as you worked your way through the mystery. I particularly appreciate the way you really got Donovan and his character as a tough guy on the outside but sweet and protective inside. Yeah, that's him :).
    Hugs and thanks for your thoughtful review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marilyn! Oh, I loved it! Excellent job with the mystery! It was fun trying to puzzle out the clues. I think I need to get a copy of the paperback to see the journal pages. On my kindle they are black and white. Am I correct in thinking that on some readers they are in color? How are they in the book?

      Yep! Classic rock from the 60's and 70's is my favorite music. And you gotta love Donovan! I could picture myself hanging out with him! ;) hehe

      Delete
  2. Hi Candy. I really enjoyed this book too. I thought it being set in the late 70s added extra interest as information was so much harder to come by in the pre-internet days. Some of the information they got had to be found in far away libraries and these days we could just google it. It was like a grown up version of Nancy Drew! I thought the mystery was well paced too, there was nothing that really surprised me, but also I didn't work it out way in advance, it unfurled nicely and I worked out most things just as the characters did, which was satisfying. I'd recommend this one too, thoroughly enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ceri! I agree! The mystery was well paced! Yes and without having our modern conveniences added to the story too! Trying to find a payphone with a phonebook attached was not that easy!! That always annoyed me!

      Delete
  3. Donovan would *love* to get to hang out with you, too, Candy!! ;)
    You asked about the journal pages -- they're in color on the Kindle Fire and they may show up in color on other e-readers that have color as a feature, but on a regular Kindle and definitely in the printed paperback pages, they're all in black and white.

    Monica and Ceri -- hugs to you both!!! xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marilyn, for letting us know about the journal pages!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...