Monday, March 30, 2015

Green Card by Elizabeth Adams ~ My Review

Green Card by Elizabeth Adams 

Publication Date: December 13th, 2014 
Publisher: self published 
Pages: 566 
Received: E-copy from the author 
Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars







I loved this story! Green Card is a fun romance that captured my attention so much so that I didn’t want to put it down! It's a low angst story. Yes, there are small disagreements, but not the gut wrenching moment that sometimes I can’t bear to go through before the happily-ever-after. Instead, it seems to come smoothly to the HEA and finishes up with an excellent epilogue!

William Harper is in a bit of a bind. He is working on a huge merger and due to a problem with his visa may have to leave the country, which could potentially kill the deal. He needs to find a way to stay in the country…fast! His lawyer and best friend, Andrew, comes up with the idea of William getting married to obtain a Green Card. Andrew just happens to be dating a girl whose sister would fit the bill perfectly!

Katherine Bishop is smart and witty and a struggling-to-make-ends-meet grad student. When presented with the plan that would alleviate her financial problems and allow her to focus on school, she is intrigued! And after meeting William she agrees to the plan.

To make this work, they agree to live together and tell no one that their marriage isn’t a real one, except those involved in the plan. I loved how up front Kate is, even considering that being in close quarters for a couple of years could lead to sex. She wants any complications that might arise from that to be included in the settlement. Smart girl, that Katy! 

I also saw many parallels to Pride and Prejudice here. Not with the storyline, but mainly in the characters. For example, Katherine is the second of four sisters, born into a dysfunctional family. She is best friends with her older sister, Jenny, who is happily dating William’s best friend, Andrew. William is wealthy, handsome and thinks he should marry someone from the right circles. His parents died when he was in his twenties, leaving him to run the family business and take care of his much younger sister, Jacqueline. The difference here is that William and Jacqueline are not as close as Darcy and Georgiana. There are more, and I won’t name everyone, but I had fun picking out the characters that I found similar to those in Pride and Prejudice

Another fun thing, Kate loves to cook, and she is cooking all the time for her and William. Which he comes to love! You know what they say…a way to a man’s heart is through his stomach! At the back of the book, Elizabeth Adams includes some of Kate’s favorite recipes. The day after I finished the book, I made some Oatmeal Spice Cookies! They were delicious!   

I would high recommend reading Green Card! Shortly after reading Green Card, I read Elizabeth Adams first book, The Houseguest: A Pride and Prejudice Vagary which I love too! I hope Ms. Adams has more books for me to read in the near future!


FTC Disclaimer: I received an e-copy of the book from the author for my honest review.

Buy: Amazon
Add to Goodreads


FTC Disclaimer: Link to Amazon. I am an Amazon Associate. Should you purchase a copy of the book through the link provide, I will receive a small commission. Thanks!


Connect with Elizabeth Adams



Any thoughts? Have you ever recipe out of a story you've read?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...