Monday, June 1, 2015

Steampunk Darcy by Monica Fairview ~ My Review

Steampunk Darcy by Monica Fairview 

Publication Date: October 15th, 2013 

Publisher: White Soup Press 
Pages: 338 
Received: my own copy 
Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars







For the last year or so, I’ve had a shift in my reading. I’ve found a new love in Dystopian/Post-apocalyptic stories. Combine that with my love of all things Austen, Steampunk Darcy is a perfect fit for me!  

Set in American Republic, post-repression. Not only was there an uprising against the government, the greed of men destroyed the environment. Now a slime rain falls, the rivers are polluted, and people are living on ship-cities or in cities that are cover by a bio-dome shield. 


William Darcy, an eighth generation Darcy, is working on a top secret project. If this technology were to fall into the wrong hands, it could be very dangerous. But Darcy wants to use it to rebuild Pemberley, which was destroyed during the Blitz. He wants to rebuild it to look as it did when Elizabeth and Fitzwilliam Darcy lived there in the early 1800s.  To complete this project he needs the help of scientist Seraphene Grant.

Unfortunately, Seraphene feels that Mr. Darcy is the last man in the world she would want to work for! Oh, she could use the money, alright. She is the sole provider for her mom and younger sister. She had two jobs, one doing scientific research at MIT, and she flew a hansom cab for extra cash. Even with both jobs sometimes there wasn’t enough to get by. 


I really enjoyed this story! Not being a retelling of Pride and Prejudice, there is no Elizabeth, but Seraphene has so many of Elizabeth's character traits that she was just like her! And Darcy was enough like his ancestor that they were naturally drawn together!


I loved the fun use of names in this story too! Darcy’s cat is called Mrs. Bennet. Darcy works (and owns) Longbourn Laboratories. Rich is Darcy’s half-brother, and he is nothing like Colonel Fitzwilliam. In fact, he causes much trouble for Darcy and Seraphene. There are a few other fun use of names, but I’ll leave them for you to discover!


I loved Steampunk Darcy! It puts a wonderful sci-fi/steampunk spin to Pride and Prejudice!   


Buy: Amazon
Add to Goodreads

FTC Disclaimer: Link to Amazon. I am an Amazon Associate. Should you purchase a copy of the book through the link provide I will receive a small commission. Thanks!


Connect with Monica Fairview



Any thoughts? I'd love to hear from you!

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting book. Hadn't really heard about it before. Nice post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like very much distopian novels but this one is really interesting! Thank you for reviewing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Loren! I enjoyed it! I know not everyone is into steampunk, but I found it interesting! I liked the different setting! I hope you give it a try! :)

      Delete
  3. I loved this one, too, Candy. I had a really good time with the blend of Dystopian with an old favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sophia Rose! Yay! I'm glad you loved it too! I really want to read 'For Darkness Show the Stars'. Have you read it?

      Delete
  4. This is the one and only steampunk novel I've read and I couldn't put it down. It's time to pick it back up and read it again. Thanks for the review, Candy. Well done!

    Plus, isn't the cover stunning?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Joy! It was good, wasn't it! I haven't read many steampunk novels either, but I felt like it's close enough to dystopian that I would like it. Yes, I love the cover! :)

      Delete
  5. I really enjoyed this one too Candy. I hope there is a sequel to it one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Ceri! I'm glad you liked this one too! Ooh, a sequel would be good! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...